

Pres. Gordan B. Hinckley and wife, Sis. Marjorie Pay Hinckley
President Gordan B. Hinckley, president of The Church of Latter-day Saints, passed away at about 7:00 tonight. He was 97 1/2 years old. (June 23, 1910 - January 27, 2008) His death was due to old age and he was surrounded by his family. He will be Greatly missed by millions of people around the world, members and non-members alike. It will take a lot of getting used to having a new president of the church but I'm sure Thomas S. Monson will do great also. President Hinckley was known and loved by members and non-members for his spiritual, happy, fun-loving personality! At least now he will be able to reunite with his wife, Marjorie Pay Hinckley, who passed away April 6, 2004.
4 comments:
I always loved Gordan B. Hinckley and his wonderful works he had done. I'm glad at least that he will be happy with Heavenly Father and his wife. He had a wonderful life on Earth.
Did I ever tell you I got to meet him once? It was at the dedication of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. He wasn't the Prophet yet, but we all knew he would be soon enough. He had requested a Territorial Ball -- like the ones Brigham Young had once had -- for the dedication, and my dance group was hired to perform. After our numbers, the band played on and we all -- even the Church dignitaries and Pres. and Sis. Hinckley -- did what's called a Grand Promenade around the ballroom. (It's mostly walking in lines and breaking at the right points to split and go separate ways.) I got to dance right behind the Hinckleys.
There you go: my claim to fame with Pres. Hinckley.
LJR says -
What!! no you never told me!! wow. That would be soooo cool! I always thought it would be awesome to meet him!
I did get to meet Elder Ucktdorf though! It was in the little theater at the Conference Center when we went to see the play, Savior of the World! He was sitting like 8-ish rows ahead of us so before it started we went & said "hi" and shook his hand! He might be prophet... some day... ok so probably not, but it was still awesome!
I'm still jealous that you got to meet Pres. Hinckley! I guess I will eventually but with these conditions hopefully not any time soon!! :)
sad.
Post a Comment