KAJ and LJR say -
Ok Paperback Writer we have a question from the terrible horrible frightening very hard poetry test. Why doesn't "a vision slowly creeping" work as personification? And why doesn't "darkness = old friend" work as a metaphor? Cause that is what both of us got and what LS and CW got. :( Or are we all just stupid and don't get it??? :'(
Time
15 years ago
5 comments:
The words are:
"... vision slowly creeping left its seeds while I was sleeping, and the vision that was planted in my brain still remains...."
This is a metaphor because the vision is compared to a plant (with long, creeping tendrils and with seeds).
To speak directly to darkness and call it a friend is treating an abstract concept like a person, which is personification.
Now, it's true that personification is a type of metaphor, but I have been teaching you the difference for weeks. Basically, if you call a thing a person, it's personification, but to call a thing a plant is not personification -- I guess it could be "plantification," but let's just stick with "metaphor," okay?
Your test grades and final grades are up on the website now. I must admit that the poetry tests scores are mighty pathetic for AN OPEN-NOTE TEST, for cryin' out loud!
The one that really got me was how many people couldn't figure out that "Ode to My Socks," which talks about socks for the entire poem, comparing socks and feet to many different things, was about SOCKS. I put the question on there as a "give away," a free point, as it were. And half the class either left it blank or else told me the poem was about nature. AUGH! It's a poem about socks!!!!! SOCKS!!!!!!!!!!! Really. I can understand how some kids got confused on sonnet types, perhaps, because that's a bit tricky. But socks? Honestly! It's enough to make me want to scream.
that's a lot of hard stuff paperback writer you can't really blame us (even though we're GT)
my real subject is grammar because I actually get it now.
LJR says -
-k- I think I get what you mean. Thanks!
You gave me a good laugh though with that last paragraph about the socks!!! LOL! I hope I got that one right or else I'll be really embarrassed!
I can't remember who got the socks stuff right and who didn't.
Nerd, are you CW? I can't read your blog because peach letters on the blue background is just miserable....
LJR says -
yeah! I got the sock stuff right!
Post a Comment