Monday, April 27, 2009

Dante's Inferno

Katherine -
We haven't posted anything for a while, so I decided I'd put on what we are reading for our English class.
Dante's Inferno.
Our teacher has given each person one canto to read so that the whole class won't have to read the entire poem. On Wednesday we're each going to explain the canto that we read to the class. I'd heard of the poem before, but never given much thought to it. I've been given canto 32 and I think it is quite horrifying. Interesting, but horrifying.
In Dante's trip with Virgil, he is in the very last circle of Hell in my canto. They come upon a large lake that is frozen with people standing in it. He specifically mentions twins bashing their heads together, and a man eating another mans' head. It is quite lovely imagery.
I can't wait to hear the rest of the horrors in store for me on Wednesday :)

2 comments:

a nerd said...

you should see my canto's punishment it's with thieves and they have snakes constricting them and them biting them causing a horrible death only to be reborn to take the punishment again. Mine sounds worse than yours in a way. you know.

Joel said...

The Divine Comedy is an amazing piece of literature. Simply awesome!

After I read it in school, our teacher assigned us to create our own form of punishment for a certain group of sinners like Dante did.

I don't remember what I did exactly, but I do remember the teachers comments that my imagination was somewhat horrifying. :)